Tuesday, December 31, 2024

The 2024 Library Mouse Literary Awards

As this is my final post of 2024, I thought it only fitting to hand out some end-of-year literary awards (mostly as a joke). So here you are.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Failing at Christian Fiction
Winner: A Song Called Home by Sara Zarr
This award is given to a book that tries to be Christian fiction but doesn't manage it.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Getting Your Biblical History Wrong
Winner: Pyramid Hunters: The Iron Tomb by Peter Vegas
This award, 'tis given to the book that included Biblical history but got it the most wrong.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Not Being a Drill
Winner: This Is Not a Drill by K. A. Holt
I think you can guess why that book won this award.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Absolute Hilarity
Winner: Discworld series by Terry Pratchett
Runner-up: The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes by Wade Albert White
This award is for books that are completely hilarious.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Having a Really Great Cover
Winner: Iron Hearted Violet by Kenny Barnhill
Runners-up: Soul Music by Terry Pratchett, The Girl who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill, Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
This award is given to books with covers I really like.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Graphic Violence
Winner: Walk Through Fire by Yasmine S. Ali, MD
This award is given to the most graphically violent book I've read this year. In this case, it's a nonfiction book about a train disaster and the subsequent giant explosion.

📚🐭    📔🏆:    📖🖼
🥇:  The Lego Technic Idea Book: Simple Machines by Yoshihito Isogawa
🏆    ➡    📖(🖼)✔,   📖(📄)❌

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Involving Trains
Winner: Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett
Runner-up: Walk Through Fire by Yasmine S. Ali, MD
This award is for books that involve trains.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Spookiness
Winner: Out to Get You by Josh Allen
Which wasn't actually terribly spooky, but I don't read much horror.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Best Isekai
Winner: The Barren Grounds by David A. Robertson
Runner-up: A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones
"Isekai" is basically "someone gets yeeted into another world to do stuff". This award is for the best book about that which I've reviewed this year.

The Library Mouse Literary Award for Being Very Confusing
Winner: The Map of Stars (York book 3) by Laura Ruby
Runner-up: Caraval by Stephanie Garber
Does anyone know what was going on with the end of The Map of Stars? Me neither.

The Pointless Trophy of Shame
Winner: It Wasn't Me by Dana Alison Levy
This award is for the book I liked the least but still reviewed.

And to end on a high note,
The Library Mouse Literary Award for My Favorite New Book I Read This Year
Winner: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
This award is the polar opposite of the Pointless Trophy of Shame; it's for being the one I liked the most.

[EDIT, 11/30/2025: Changed it from "Librarymouse Literary Awards" to "Library Mouse Literary Awards" because it sounded nicer that way.]

(Endnote: The Librarymouse Literary Award for Recursive Self-Reference goes to this post.)

2 comments:

  1. well, it looks like you had some very interesting awards, as well as interesting contenders!!!
    -grammy

    ReplyDelete