Sunday, December 22, 2024

"Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett

Plot summary: A homicidal psychopath yeets himself and Commander Vimes back into the past, then murders past!Vimes's mentor so present!Vimes has to take his place. Unfortunately, the "past" they were yeeted into is the time when Homicidal Lord Winder is being deposed by a revolution in the streets because he decided secret police were a good idea.

This is one of the more somber Discworld books.

I'm starting to suspect that Vimes the chronically angry and cynical actually has some form of depression, though I have no actual evidence for this.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for crude humor, swearing, and violence.


Favorite lines:

    His glare ran from face to face, causing most of the squad to do an immediate impression of the Floorboard and Ceiling Inspectors Synchronized Observation Team.
    Page 118.

    He unfolded [the note]. In smudged pencil, but still readable, it read: Morphic Street, 9 o'clock tonight. Password: swordfish.
    Swordfish? Every password was "swordfish"! Whenever anyone tried to think of a word that no one would ever guess, they always chose "swordfish." It was just one of those strange quirks of the human mind.
    Page 157. I'm pretty sure this is a trope in British fiction that didn't quite translate over to America.

    "But suddenly I've got all the aces, Duke," he said.
    "But suddenly I'm not playing cards, Carcer."
    Page 194.

    THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.
    Pages 389-390.

(Endnote: I don't have much to say about this one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment