Plot summary: Eleven-year-old Tiffany Aching is being apprenticed to a witch. Unfortunately, there's a malevolent spirit being trying to possess her, and she has to deal with it, and then |everyone else has to deal with her being possessed by it|. That's pretty much the entire book.
The Nac Mac Feegle continue to be entirely hilarious.
As it turns out, the Hiver (the malevolent spirit being) |isn't actually malevolent. It just borrows humans' brains to think with so it can stop comprehending infinity, and it tries to give them what they want, but it's kind of bad at it so it gives them what they think they want|. Which is a problem.
Granny Weatherwax (of the Witches subseries) does show up for the last like third of the book. (I can't actually tell how long it was because our library system doesn't have a physical copy, so we had to borrow the Ebook version. Did you know that Ebooks are exceedingly annoying to read?) She's much nicer to Tiffany than she is to basically everyone in the main-series Discworld books.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for cartoon violence. There's enough willpower-y stuff in here that it would probably be rather hard to translate into videogame form.
Favorite lines:
"How many fingers am I holdin' up?" he said.
"Five," whispered Miss Level.
"Am I? Ah, well, ye could be right, ye'd have the knowin o' the countin'," said Rob, lowering his hand.
Page 117.
"...And I havena had enough to drink, pal, 'cuz if I have, whi've I still got all this money, eh? Answer me that!"
Page 129. This is from when a bunch of Nac Mac Feegles are dressing up as a scarecrow to go find Tiffany. Hijinks ensued.
(Endnote: There's a tavern in this called the King's Legs, which is another joke I'm pretty sure Pratchett came up with in his adolescence.)

No comments:
Post a Comment