This is a bunch of stories that could have been their own individual smaller books, except the author decided to tangle them all together into one semi-cohesive narrative instead. A narrative which takes place during World War I, hence the trenches.
Felix (Austro-Hungarian) is a civilian with a dad in the military, who (Felix, not the dad) has to survive with his mom when things get really bad in their area of Austria-Hungary.
Kara (British) just wants to be a Red Cross nurse.
Juliette (French) lives in an area of France that got fighting in it, gets separated from her family, and is alone in WWI now, trying to survive.
Elsa (German) doesn't really have her own arc; she just catalyzes those of several of the others.
And finally, Dimitri (Russian) has fallen victim to the problem that chronically plagued Russia's armies in both World Wars: their lack of such essential things as "weapons for your soldiers". Also, there are Communists.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A soft T for being set in WWI but not having graphic violence. It would most likely be rather difficult to make into a game, but it probably could be done. Would be an interesting one.
(Endnote: I don't always read historical fiction, but when I do, it's usually because I make somewhat of an exception for WWI and WWII. And Westerns.)

I really like to read WWII fiction,, so this would be right up my alley! Thanks for sharing, Sam! -grammy
ReplyDelete