Terry Pratchett writes some unique books. (Now, granted, the only other things of his that I've read are The Carpet People and various short stories, but within that, the pattern stands.)
I
had a very inaccurate concept of what this book is about. According to
my impression, The Amazing Maurice was some sort of stage magician and
His Educated Rodents were a bunch of rodents who did vaudeville shows
and stuff.
Which
is not at all how this book goes. The Amazing Maurice is a cat, His
Educated Rodents are a bunch of rats who accidentally gain sentience,
and they're accompanied by a random kid with a pipe.
You
can probably see where this is going. The Educated Rodents pretend to
be a rat infestation, the random kid pretends to be a Pied Piper, and
they scam random towns out of money because Maurice is basically a con
artist. But as a cat.
Except then they try to scam a town where something very weird is going on. And against everyone's better judgement, they investigate to try to find out what's going on.
And
then things happen ("someone new comes to town and everything changes"
plot for ya), and Maurice might even be a better person (cat?) by the end.
Were
this a videogame, I'd rate it: A soft T for general creepiness. It
would be an okay-ish videogame, but not one that I'd play.
4 stars.
(Endnote: Apparently, as I learned by reading the afterword / author's note / addendum / postlude / whatever, this is set in Discworld. Which made me kind of want to read Discworld, but I'm awaiting official recognition of whether or not that series is Inappropriate For People My Age™.)

No comments:
Post a Comment