Wednesday, May 22, 2024

"Enchanted Glass" by Diana Wynne Jones

This is one of Diana Wynne Jones' better books. It's set in a version-of-the-real-world-but-there's-also-magic, except nobody's taking great pains to hide it from all the muggles like in most books. Which was honestly a breath of fresh air, and didn't strain my credulity as much as most of those do.

Actually, I can't really think of many where the magic isn't all hidden. The vast majority (Artemis Fowl, Harry Potter, Keeper of the Lost Cities, SCP, et cetera...) have it be that way, which I admit strains my credulity a bit. I know most of those have memory-erasing things (not sure on SCP), but all it would take is one person posting a video on the Internet and poof. Instant not-a-secret.

But anyway. Well-written as always, because this is Diana Wynne Jones. I don't really have much to say about this.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T. It would be kind of hard to make into a game, though.


(Endnote: Insert humorous endnote here.)

2 comments:

  1. So what's it about? -Grammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A guy who inherits a house (and its magic) from his grandfather, and a kid who shows up one day while being chased by angry fairies. It's more serious than it sounds.

      Delete