This do be historical fiction, about a crewman on the U.S.S. Yorktown during World War II. We all know how well that ended. This dude |does survive, though|.
The historical stuff is interspersed with baseball (because this was the 1940s and if you were in the States then everything
was tangentially related to baseball) (please note that the previous
statement is not entirely factually accurate) and a minor
dealing-with-racism side plot (courtesy of the main character's friend,
who gets hit with it a lot). (Also this paragraph is full of
parentheses.)
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for violence and discussion of racism. Dead in the Water
would make a reasonably good videogame in the right hands, although
unless you let players change the story, it wouldn't have much
replayability.
Tags for this one: 4-star, airplanes, historical fiction, military, rated T, WWII
I
didn't like this one. The art wasn't really good (for me, art quality
is an important factor in how much I like a graphic novel; it's like use
of language in a print book), and I didn't love the storyline either.
Plus it did a |casual homosexuality mention|, which I strongly dislike. If you're going to have that in your book, be overt about it so I can avoid you.
Anyway, T15+ for sexual references. 1 star. Lame.
Tags for this one: 1-star, lame, manga/graphic novel, modern setting, rated T15+, school drama
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king illegal. |But also king.|
Basically,
this is science fiction about a community where everyone is genetically
engineered to be blind. Because... well, honestly it feels
quasi-religious, like one of those weird philosophical
religion-but-not-really-but-still-kinda things.
Aaaaaaaand then one guy discovers he can see, that the genetic engineering failed on him, and everything goes to pieces.
Were
this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for delayed-action creepiness. It
would be pretty hard to make into a videogame, but it could be done.
Tags for this one: 4-star, dystopian, rated E10+, science fiction



No comments:
Post a Comment