I'm going to have to get the third book of this out of the library, because as the back cover said, Ember Falls is basically the Empire Strikes Back of The Green Ember. As such, it ended on a cliffhanger. (Note: For those who don't know. this series is about talking rabbits, who are having a war with talking wolves and birds of prey. They all have medieval weapons.)
I
spent much of the "war" sequences yelling at the rabbits for doing the
honorable thing, attacking their enemies (literal wolves) in pitched
battles, and then dying in droves because, again, they're rabbits (with
swords) fighting wolves (with bigger swords). And they have exploding
catapult ammunition, which... if you're smart enough to make A)
exploding shells and B) big heavy metal things, you can make these weird
things known as "cannons". And "blunderbusses". And "land mines".
And
even if you don't build gunpowder weapons, you can still use stealth
tactics better than you do. Rabbits are good at hiding, but I don't even
once see them using the novel technique of "ambushes". Or any guerrilla
tactics at all, really. You have enough chemistry to make healing
elixirs, you have enough chemistry to make birdlime and spread it on
random perches the enemy birds will land on. You have enough digging
power to carve out citadels inside mountains, you have enough digging power
to make Punji pits. (Okay, I get that those are forbidden by the Geneva
convention, but the principle stands.)
Basically,
I was mad at the rabbits for not cheating enough. According to Shy Guy
(a relative), it's because "they're the good guys" (not an exact
quote); however, that shouldn't prevent them from employing any of the
many inventive ways medieval people came up with to kill their enemies.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A hard E10+ for fantasy violence. It could be a decent videogame, although I feel like it would turn out as an RTS and a visual novel rolled into one.
4 stars. It was good, despite the rabbits' bad tactics.
(Endnote: Yes, I do understand that narratively, most of the things I'm suggesting are a path to the Dark Side a "we've become just as bad as the enemy" moment. However, from a purely military standpoint, they make sense.)

No comments:
Post a Comment