I am proud to announce that, after ten years of ignorance, I finally know who Boo Radley is.
Okay, obscure inside jokes aside, this is actually a really good book. As in, I was reading it for school, and then just didn't stop and ended up reading the entire thing in two days. Even The Scarlet Pimpernel didn't do that to me, and I was also reading that for school.
It took me about twenty pages to confirm from context that the narrator was indeed a girl. I can kind of tell whether a book's narrator is a boy or a girl just based on their style of narration, and Scout's narration felt like female narration to me, but I couldn't actually confirm my suspicion until like twenty pages in.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: ...T? I guess? For |an accusation of rape being one of the plot points|? Scout (the main character) is nine for most of the book, which makes me reluctant to rate it T, but if she were older I'd have no problem giving To Kill a Mockingbird T, so...
And after some deliberation, I've also decided on a star rating: 5. This deserves it.
(Endnote: Anyone who's read the book, I have a musing/question for you. [Anyone who hasn't read the book, this is one of those "no but i really mean it though this has actual big spoilers inside of it" spoiler tags.] Anyway, the musing/question is this: |How did Harper Lee manage to make me feel instinctively affectionate toward and sorry for Boo Radley despite the fact that he is literally never seen until the very end of the story? Not to mention the fact that the characters--and by extension the you--know practically nothing about him except various strange rumors?|)

No comments:
Post a Comment