I actually proofread this book back in mid-December, but only got around to reviewing it in mid-January. And then published the review in March because I have veritable truckloads of posts backed up. (Not that I'm complaining; it's better than long absences.)
Overall, this is a satisfying and sense-making conclusion to the Dark Throne duology.
So I have this (mostly tongue-in-cheek) theory that |Kora Snowhawk, the title source,| is actually |a Sourcerer.| [link which may spoil you] |This is supported by many factors: both Kora Snowhawk and Coin the Sourcerer A) are described as a "source of magic", B) are self-centered and somewhat insane, and C) are absurdly overpowered. However, my theory is also pretty much debunked by the fact that the Dark Throne duology isn't set in Discworld.|
My theory is also debunked by the ending of the book, but eh, it was fun while it lasted. Maybe sometime I'll write some fanfiction where |those two meet each other|.
Count Lenzky (aka the BBEG's former second-in-command) (aka my favorite character from Balefire) continues to be my favorite character in this. But because Orin can't be without a second command, he picks a new one: a properly evil person named Simon Voschart.
Anyway, were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for graphic violence (thank you for existing, Voschart).
(Endnote: It's a testament to the writing in this that, despite the fact that I was supposed to be proofreading it, I never actually managed to give very good feedback on the ending because I kept getting too caught up in it.)

This is a complete travesty, I know, but I've never read any Terry Pratchett. I'm not entirely sure how that happened, but I need to remedy that. Where should I start?
ReplyDeleteI loved this review, and I'm also so happy that someone besides me labels Lenzky their favorite character!
Deb
Thank you!
DeleteAs regards Pratchett -- with Discworld, really, you can start anywhere. I'd recommend just seeing which of the books look interesting and going from there. (But you probably shouldn't start with The Color of Magic, The Light Fantastic, or Equal Rites; they're the first three, where Pratchett hadn't really hit his stride yet.) It would probably also be best to read the Tiffany Aching books in order.
I haven't read much of his other work (just The Carpet People and the short story collections). If you don't want to start with Discworld, I'd suggest beginning with the short story collection Dragons at Crumbling Castle, because it's hilarious.