My mom reviewed this one. Go there if you want an actual review. I mostly just did this one to showcase a couple of lines.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for marital infidelity and some alcohol use.
4 stars.
Favorite lines:
"Moving on," [the teacher] continued, not hearing me, "I've been instructed to tell you again that you are not to touch the wet paint outside the cafeteria. Most people would know this without being told, but apparently some of you are not like most people."
Page 49.
"Oh, yeah," she said. "My mom always makes too much anyway."
"You can never have too much fried chicken," Dave told her.
"She made fried chicken last time," Heather said, still studying her screen. "I remember, because Dave ate two breasts, two legs, and two wings. Which was actually..."
"An entire chicken," Dave finished for her, sighing. "A personal best for me."
Pages 282-283.
Tags for this one: 4-star, a kissing book, modern setting, rated T, romance, YA
The titular brackenbeasts are actually made of mud, not bracken. In-universe, they used to be made of bracken, until some evil guy turned them into mud. |And mushrooms.|
The villains in this are the sort of folklore-ish "super dangerous but also very rule-bound and if you beat them at their own game you'll be fine" villains that show up a lot in, you guessed it, folklore.
I picked this up thinking it was another horror entry into my Allan County mythos ([EXPLANATORY EDIT, 4/23/2026: it was a story I was writing about the concept of "what if horror protagonists were competent people and had actual good weapons"]). And it could have made a good horror story if the author had played the story for scariness instead of somewhat fairytale-esque magical realism. Instead it makes a good somewhat fairytale-esque magical realism story.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for spookiness and violence (if you don't read the afterword, which is... T-ish.)
4 stars.
Tags for this one: 4-star, magical realism, modern setting, rated E10+
This is an Asian-flavored take on the "magic school" genre. It's set in a fantasy world.
The magic schoolchildren are learning to become a type of immortal called the Cyo B'Ahon. |Now imagine you have a thick accent, and pronounce "Siobhan" phonetically|.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for general violence and some evil spirit creatures .
4 stars.
Tags for this one: 4-star, fantasy, rated E10+
(Endnote: What Happened to Goodbye has the honor of being the first book to which I've given the tag "romance".)



No comments:
Post a Comment