This is one of those books that doesn't actually explain what's going on within it; basically, they show you what's happening to the characters, but don't actually provide the worldbuilding behind that. It crops up a lot in horror and magical realism, and sometimes fantasy.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A soft E10+ for spookiness. Could be an OK visual novel.
3 stars. The ending was too trippy and strange for my taste.
Tags for this one: 3-star, magical realism, modern setting, rated E10+
Behold, the first book of the series in which Brackenbeast is book 2. This one is definitely a lot spookier and less fairy-tale-gone-wrong.
Overall, I liked Brackenbeast better.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A stern T for {T-ish pulling a casual homosexuality mention}. yeesh. That said, a videogame of Thirteens would possibly be fun, if you like spooky things.
And 3 stars as well, for the same reason.
Tags for this one: 3-star, horror, modern setting, rated T, series component
No, this isn't the same thing as The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. This one is a murder mystery.
It's also one of the rare ones where I don't even suspect the murderer until they're revealed. (The only other one of those within the last couple years is Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.) In the case of "The Secret Garden," it's because |the murderer showed up in a previous mystery, wherein he was firmly on the side of good|.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for |decapitation| and violence in general. Doesn't have a very videogameifiable plot, though.
4 stars.
Favorite lines:
“Well, doctor,” said the priest, looking up blinking, “|can a man cut off
his own head? I don’t know|.”
Page ??? (this is a short story). It's Father Brown, doing a reveal.
Tags for this one: 4-star, fiction but historical, mystery, rated E10+, short stories
(Endnote: I'm not saying I reviewed "The Secret Garden" solely because it could get mistaken for a more famous work with the same name...)



No comments:
Post a Comment