Plot summary: Basically Macbeth, but the witches can't resist messing up the plot. This is one of the rare Discworld books that only really has one main plot strand.
My mom has also read this; I'm willing to bet some fake internet points that she got a lot more out of it than I did. I attribute this to the fact that she knows a lot more about Macbeth than I do, and she's actually read the original play.
I don't have much to say about this one. Anyone reading this knows my feelings on the witches involved.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for crude humor and swearing. I feel like it would be hard to make into a videogame by simple dint of it being hard to figure out who the player would play.
Favorite lines:
He growled and stood up. "There is a knocking without," he said.
"Without what?" said the Fool.
"Without the door, idiot."
The Fool gave him a worried look. "A knocking without a door?" he said suspiciously. "This isn't some kind of Zen, is it?"
Page 26.
There was plenty of flat ground in the Ramtops. The problem was that nearly all of it was vertical.
Page 79.
"Is this a dagger I see before me?" he mumbled.
"Um. No, my lord. It's my handkerchief, you see. You can sort of tell the difference if you look closely. It doesn't have as many sharp edges."
Page 89.
Appearances of Death count: 19.
(Endnote: If I was my mom this would probably me a much more involved review. Unfortunately, I'm not her, so this isn't one.)

This is the first Terry Pratchett book I ever read, and it made me laugh aloud until I cried. Repeatedly. While in the lunchroom at Walmart. People used to spend their lunches watching me read books because I guess I was highly funny while reading or something.
ReplyDeleteThat would be a very different introduction than Unseen Academicals.
Delete