Saturday, November 16, 2024

"The Truth" by Terry Pratchett

Plot summary: In which some dwarves invent the printing press, shortly after which some guy invents the newspaper, shortly after which some other guys invent the tabloid. Meanwhile, there's a plot to depose Lord Vetinari by framing him for murder, then insanity.

I have discovered another book which doesn't fit neatly into any of the subseries. Huzzah.

Sacharissa Cripslock the reporter (she sounds like a tabloid reporter but she's actually on the sane-things newspaper team) debuts in this; she's also in Going Postal, where she annoys Moist von Lipwig to no end by writing down everything he says. As it turns out, both she and William de Worde (the protagonist) can use this to great effect.

While I'm on the subject of characters, I have to mention Otto Chriek, the vampire photographer iconographer the main character hires for his newspaper. Turns out that Discworld vampires aren't just turned into dust by sunlight, but by any sufficiently bright light, including flash photography. However, they're also resurrected as soon as they come into contact with even a drop of blood, so he's usually fine.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for crude humor and swearing.


Favorite lines:

   "A ----ing werewolf? Are you ----ing crazy?"
    "Uh... why does your partner keep saying 'ing,' Mr. Pin?"
    Page 84.

    " 'The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret'?"
    "Printer's error," said William shortly.
    Pages 173-174.

    "Do you know what's good for you?"
    "Er... yes. Healthy exercise, regular meals, a good night's sleep." William stared at the long lines of loose boxes. "I think what you meant to ask was: do I know what's bad for me, in the general context of blunt instruments and sharp edges. Yes?"
    Page 255.
 
Appearances of Death count: 18.

(Endnote: The Discworld has five elements, which are Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and Surprise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment