Wednesday, August 5, 2026

"The Long War" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter

So far, this series has not lived up to my expectations.

I mean, it's co-written by Terry Pratchett. And having read DiscworldThe Carpet People, and Dragons at Crumbling Castle, I have come to expect that his books will be good. Unfortunately, The Long Earth and now The Long War are merely okay; they're not nearly as funny as any of the other Pratchett books I've read, and these two have much more inappropriate content.

(Which, yes, there's some of that in Discworld too, but it's mostly crude humor.)

The war in this book is actually quite short. Not long at all, really.

The Long War is set ten years after The Long Earth. It follows Joshua Valienté (main character of the first book), who is now married to a random side character and has a kid. Like The Long Earth, this book is a lot of random snippets of its various plotlines; it's slightly more coherent than the first book, but not much.

Terry Pratchett is not usually this anti-religion. Personally, I suspect that aspect to be Stephen Baxter's fault, though I've never read anything else by Stephen Baxter so I can't be sure on that.

There's a minor character in this named Toby Fox. That's not really interesting on its own, except that the videogames Undertale and Deltarune were created by a guy named Toby Fox.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: M for violence, sexual references (more of those than last time), homosexual references (about the same amount as last time), and bad language (including the Cardinal Swearword).

2 stars.

(Endnote: Zeppelins!)

No comments:

Post a Comment