Thursday, August 20, 2026

Mini-Reviews 20: An Eclectic Assortment (And An Announcement)

Stories from the Faerie Queen
 retold by Jeanie Lang

Behold, it's a bunch of fairy tales. As the foreword thing states, they're actually prose retellings of various parts of an epic poem from the 1590s. I did not know about that poem at all until this book.

One of the six bits of this involves a dragon fight. It's really quite a good dragon fight as dragon fights go, even if it does rely a bit much on the knight getting accidentally yeeted into various springs of living and healing water.

Whatever else you may say about it, this book does not waste time in getting through the plot. It wastes so little time in getting through the plot that it almost feels like more of a summary than an actual narrative. 

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A soft E10+ for fantasy violence.

3 stars.

Tags for this one: 3-star, fairy tale, rated E10+



The Casebook of Sidney Zoom
 by Erle Stanley Gardner

This is a collection of ten short stories (originally published in pulp magazines) about Sidney Zoom, yacht-owning millionaire master-of-disguise misanthropist (but secretly also philanthropist) who wanders around righting wrongs during the Great Depression. Approximately once per episode, he must either declare his undying hatred of civilization (by which he mostly means the oppressive bits) or sic his faithful police dog on someone who's trying to hold a gun on him.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for violence.

4 stars.

Tags for this one: 4-star, rated T, short stories



The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
 by Benjamin Franklin

As you may have guessed from the title and the author's name, this is the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and it was written by Benjamin Franklin. He never actually finished it before he died, so it stops in 1757, before a lot of the stuff he tends to be known for.

But it also contains a lot of the stuff he's known for. The paving stone wharf incident, the fire department, the kite-and-lightning experiment, to name a few. It's also decently funny, because it was written by Benjamin Franklin.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A soft E10+.

4 stars.

Tags for this one: 4-star, biography, history, rated E10+



(Endnote: We have fairy tales, 1930s pulp fiction, and a Founding Father's autobiography. In the words of Sherlock Holmes, I am an omnivorous reader.)



Also, this announcement is a bit late, but I've been published!


 I wrote "Gordon Wilson's Umbrella", a historical fiction story about |a teenage schoolboy who stopped a guy from assassinating Queen Victoria by hitting him with an umbrella and throwing off his aim|. It's actually based on a real event. You can read it for free at sparklermagazine.com, in the issue "The Moment Everything Changed."

(I didn't create that graphic, the magazine staff did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment