Tuesday, April 28, 2026

"Pippi Longstocking" by Astrid Lindgren

I read this book right after reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and boy was that a contrast.

(Actually, I just noticed that on the surface, they do have a few similarities. Namely that both books are about kids who live alone, whose mothers are dead, and whose fathers are alive -- |well, not for the whole book in Huckleberry Finn's case| -- but not here. That does not change the fact that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a serious anti-slavery novel, and Pippi Longstocking is a cheerful children's book.)

One cannot help but smile at the adventures and shenanigans of this book. It has no pretentions of seriousness, and it's just fun to read about Pippi's horse who lives on the balcony and her chest of gold pieces.

My favorite part is probably the part with the robbers trying to break into Villa Villekula. 'Tis hilarious, especially how utterly unprepared the robbers are for Pippi Longstocking being Pippi Longstocking.

This review is part of my first completed quest.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E, probably.

4 stars.

    "Hurray!" said Pippi. "This must be my lucky day too! Policemen are the very best things I know. Next to rhubarb pudding."
    Page 39.

(Endnote: Despite all my knowledge of mathematics, I have yet to master pluttifikation.)

1 comment:

  1. The robbers part is hands-down the funniest, but the whole book is an absolute gem :-D

    ReplyDelete