Sunday, April 19, 2026

"Beezus and Ramona" by Beverly Cleary

At first glance, one might say that this book is similar to Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. After all, they're both books about fourth-graders with annoying younger siblings.

But in asserting that, one would miss the crucial detail that Beezus and Ramona is much better.

Ramona, for instance, actually faces consequences for her misbehavior. Relatedly, the parents in this are much better than Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing's parents, hence their willingness to actually give Ramona consequences for her misbehavior.

Ramona is also not so consistently malevolent as Fudge from Tales, etc is. She acts out, but she's not as gleeful about it, possibly because (again) acting out has consequences for her.

I read both entire series with these characters (the Henry books and the Ramona books) back when I was in like fourth grade. Hence why I have occasionally wished to have grown up in the 1950s.

For anyone who hasn't read this (and if you haven't, you might want to), I should probably mention that "Beezus" is a nickname for "Beatrice".

This review is part of my first completed quest.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E.

4 stars.

(Endnote: Bingle-bongle-by!)

2 comments:

  1. I am positive my wish to have grown up in the 1950s also stems from having read the Henry and Ramona books over and over and over as a kid. I used to imagine I went to their school and was friends with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I especially liked your comment that Ramona often faces consequences for her behavior. That's what I liked about the Ramona books - they showed life in a realistic manner., -Grammy

    ReplyDelete