So you know how I reviewed The Notorious Scarlett and Browne back in February of 2024? That was actually book two of a trilogy. This is the first book.
The evil organized universalists aren't as prevalant in this; neither are the not-Mafia. The plot mostly focuses on the evil science organization (mostly evil, not a lot of science) that Albert escaped from, and their attempts to recapture him. Both the evil organized universalists and the not-Mafia are present in this one, though, and the evil science organization is still a part of the next one.
Albert is rather useless in this. I suppose someone must have a character arc. He does get better over time, though.
I'd actually read this before, but I never reviewed it, and I'm not sure why I didn't. Maybe I wasn't in a reviewing mood. I do know that I read it before I had my collected series posts page, which means I wouldn't have been prompted to review it by the desire to see the series all nicely lined up on there.
Jonathan Stroud has a knack for writing snappy dialogue.
I'm not entirely sure how old these characters are, in part because they aren't either. My best guess is eighteenish.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for swearing and some violence.
4 stars. I like this one's villain better than that of TNSaB, but I like Albert better in that one. He's less useless.
(Endnote: There's also a third book, The Legendary Scarlett and Browne. It was never released with a cover that matches the covers I've used in these reviews, which is somewhat of a shame, because I like this style of cover better.)

No comments:
Post a Comment