This book was a Christmas gift from a relative for whom I have no suitable pseudonym.
It's about a guy from |what's eventually revealed to be a sci-fi universe|, who lands in a field in medieval England (hence the title) (well, it's |actually an alternate dimension's version of medieval England|) with no memory. And, thus, no idea why he's here, what he's supposed to be doing, or who he even is.
He actually reminds me a lot of Guy from Minecraft: The Island. They're both amnesiac guys who get portal-fantasied into another world, for one. And for another, they're confident in themselves, mostly, despite not really having the competence to back up that confidence.
(They also both annoy me to varying degrees throughout the earlier parts of their respective books.)
Amnesia is a good way to avoid having to lore dump about your original world, while also being able to integrate the lore about your fantasy world in a fairly natural way. It's really a very useful plot device, especially for portal fantasy.
Our main character is not actually a wizard, though |he does have nanobot augments. And there is magic, of a sort, just not used by him|.
The "frugal" part of the title is an artifact of an earlier book concept of Sanderson's, entitled The Frugal Wizard's Guide to London, which he rejected for being "too Harry Potter". In this, "Frugal Wizard" is a brand name. Frugality really has nothing to do with the plot.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T, probably, for fantasy |and sci-fi| violence. I don't recall anything objectionable. It could be a pretty decent videogame.
4 stars.
(Endnote: Personally, if I got portal-fantasied, I'd rather have a copy of the Adventurer's Guide. That in-universe book is more useful and less of a marketing brochure.)

No comments:
Post a Comment