This book is manifestly okay.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against it. It's a lovely and poignant book, with a good message about how grownups should stop being boring and have some whimsy in their lives. It's not even sappy. It's just also not my cup of cake.
Basically, an aircraft pilot (who might also be a bit of a self-insert for Saint-Exupéry) crashes in a desert and meets the titular little prince. He's from another planet. (Well, it's more of an asteroid, really, and it really shouldn't have enough gravity to hold him on it, much less an atmosphere, but that's not important right now and the narrator would chastise me for paying attention to the boring fact things when the important parts are staring me in the face.)
The little prince recounts his adventure on his planet, the other planets near him, and Earth. There's poignancy in there. And that's basically the entire book.
This review is part of my first completed quest.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E.
3 stars. There's nothing wrong with it, but as I said, it's not my cup of cake. Or, to put it another way, it is my cup of tea, because I have nothing against tea but I don't drink it by preference.
(Endnote: It's pronounced roughly "Ex-ooh-parry", and all French-speakers everywhere will probably be furious at me for that bit of butchered phoneticism.)

No comments:
Post a Comment