Saturday, December 6, 2025

"The Creeping Shadow" by Jonathan Stroud

Unlike the previous three title entities, the Creeping Shadow is |not actually a ghost. Instead, it's the realspace manifestation of the nearby Research Facility of Extreme Spookiness doing experiments with temporarily sending people into the afterlife|. However, it is the main spookiness again.

(Though, |it's not really the afterlife, per se; it's more like the between-life|.)

There was an exchange in this one that went basically:
Bad guy: "Don't pry into my secrets, or you'll regret it."
*bad guy leaves*
Lockwood: "So, show of hands, who thinks we should pry into his secrets?"
And I thought that was funny. It also exemplifies Lockwood's possible |growing borderline-suicidal overconfidence and throwing himself into dangerous situations, which has been a plot point since the last book--Lucy, the protagonist, actually left at the end of that one because she was worried he'd get himself killed trying to protect her. So she's technically an independent at the beginning of this one, but she's teaming up with Lockwood & Co. because the premier ghostbusting agency's leader asked her to|.

The |afterlife| in this, which |the Research Facility of Extreme Spookiness is sending people in iron not-quite-EVA-suits into (and which Lockwood and Lucy also enter to get away from the bad guy)|, may not actually be |the afterlife proper|. I don't think it is; it's more like an |in-between-life|.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for scary scenes and violence.

4 stars.

Favorite lines:

    "Lucy, I'm a malevolent skull, without an ounce of compassion. You've got to be worried if I'm feeling sorry for you."
    Page 49. It's Lucy's Sarcastic Talking Skull of Mild Spookiness.

(Endnote: This is the first time I've seen any real red herrings in these books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment