Saturday, November 15, 2025

"The Hollow Boy" by Jonathan Stroud

The titles of these are starting to refer to less and less major plot points as the series progresses. First we had the Screaming Staircase (which was the main spookiness of its book), then the Whispering Skull (not the main spookiness, but it was a decently big plot point in its book), and now... the Hollow Boy. It |only shows up at the end, and though it's probably going to have a decent impact on later books, it's only in a small slice of this one before getting unceremoniously stabbed by Lockwood|.

The actual main plot of the book revolves around an outbreak of ghosts in Chelsea (I had to look up what that was; it's a district thing in London), which is eventually revealed to be because Chelsea contains a Department Store of Extreme Spookiness. (Granted, the only reason the department store is Of Extreme Spookiness is that it's |built over an Abandoned Medieval Prison of Extreme Spookiness|, but the characters didn't know that at the time.)

This book demonstrates that the best way to stop being enemies with someone is to save each other's lives several times. (I'm not sure if that's actually true in real life, but it seems to work out in books.)

Oh, y'know the |mirror that was supposed to let you see into the afterlife but actually just kills you| from the last book? Someone's |trying to make another one of those, or so it's implied|. Glorious.

I don't actually know what the mask on the cover is supposed to be.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for being a horror book. 

4 stars.

(Endnote: As far as I can tell, the Hollow Boy has nothing to do with the Hollow Knight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment