My mom reviewed this, here. Go there for some actual thoughts on the book.
I honestly wouldn't have done even this utter placeholder of a mini-review normally. However, this (sad excuse for a) review is part of my first completed quest.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+.
3 stars.
Tags for this one: 3-star, classics, junior fiction, magical realism, rated E10+
This is a book about a veterinarian in what's basically a D&D world. It's quite fun and I wish it were a series so I could read more of it.
I think it balances the slice-of-life aspect with the plot quite well. That, however, is my personal opinion; other people might think it needs more plot or more slice-of-life.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for fantasy violence. It could be a reasonably good videogame; I'd play it.
4 stars.
Tags for this one: 4-star, fantasy, rated E10+, slice-of-life
This book involves (posthumously) Dorian Gray, of The Picture of Dorian Gray fame. That would be a spoiler, but come on, the book's about spooky magic paintings and the protagonist's last name is Gray.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for scary scenes and {T15+ implied past homosexuality, thanks to the subject matter involving Oscar Wilde. It's pretty veiled, and if you didn't know about Wilde you probably wouldn't notice it, but it's there and it bugged me. It was also kind of sprung on you near the end, so I'd already read most of the book before I noticed.}
1 star. Honestly I probably should have quit reading it, but I wanted to know how it ended. It's rather a shame about the above-mentioned redactedness, because Bryony herself could have been quite a compelling protagonist.
Tags for this one: 1-star, magical realism, rated T15+
(Endnote: Zac Efron is in none of these books.)



No comments:
Post a Comment