Tuesday, November 18, 2025

"A Wind in the Door" by Madeleine L'Engle

I suspect that A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels are at least partially ways for Madeleine L'Engle to be as weird as she wants. Why else would the plot involve Meg and Calvin |teaming up with a cherubim (the eyes-and-wings kind), a microscopic being, and Charles Wallace's principal (who's been duplicated by some evil demony-spirit things) to fix Charles Wallace's mitochondria so they can continue being the powerhouse of the cell and he'll stop dying|?

I'm just going to spoil it a little bit so I can talk about things without having to redact absolutely everything, so if you don't want a very mild spoiler, don't read farther in this paragraph: the plot involves mitochondria. There. That wasn't too hard, was it?

Anyway, the author made up some internal structures of mitochondria in order to have the plot work. There's no such thing as farandolae. Then again, there's no such thing as tessering, either, so it's not like she didn't make up stuff for A Wrinkle in Time.

Unlike the previous book, it's not clear to me what the title is actually referring to. The "Wrinkle in Time" is basically the time travel used by the book's mentor characters to make it to where the whole several-days-long adventure doesn't result in Meg and Calvin being missing for several days, but I'm not sure what the wind or the door are referring to here.

A Wind in the Door kind of defies genres. A Wrinkle in Time was pretty clearly science fantasy, but this does away with most of the "science" element. While one might think that means it's just straight fantasy, it's not really; it's also not quite magical realism (though admittedly I judge that based on vibes), so...

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for violence. It would be rather a pain to turn this into a videogame, what with the telepathy (or kything; I'll excuse the Renamed Concept Rule breach because it's not really basic telepathy) and all.

4 stars.

(Endnote: Where did "the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell" even come from? Why is it a meme? Also, shouldn't it be "mitochondrion"?)

No comments:

Post a Comment