Friday, September 19, 2025

"Creatures of the Deep" by Erich Hoyt

Also known as, "the book with the creepy fish pictures."

Okay, they're not that scary, but I still wouldn't want some of those to suddenly show up in a movie or videogame. Granted, the SamTheLibraryMouse Theory of Jumpscares (which I made up just now) states that the content of a jumpscare is secondary to the vibes of the scene in which the jumpscare takes place as regards the overall scariness of the jumpscare, (whew that's a mouthful) but still.

(One corrolary of the SamTheLibraryMouse Theory of Jumpscares is my joke that a box of cereal appearing out of nowhere into your face in a dark and well-spookified spooky alley is at least as scary as a scary monster appearing out of nowhere in a normal and cheerful forest. But enough about jumpscares. How did I even get this sidetracked?)

This book has an entire chapter dedicated primarily to giant squids. It also has an entire chapter dedicated to "oh no we're killing the oceans niuuuuuuu," which... On the one hand, overfishing is a legitimate problem, but on the other hand, what do you expect your readers to do about it?

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for sexual references (describing modes of reproduction of various undersea animals; it's not lurid or anything, but it does describe the weird ones.)

4 stars.

(Endnote: There's plenty of fish in the sea, and most of them are weird as nouns.)

No comments:

Post a Comment