The main characters of another of Sarah Dessen's books (This Lullaby, I think) cameo in this one. I thought that was neat.
It's about a girl who's trying desperately to pretend everything is fine and hold things together while everything falls apart around her, and also a guy who's into weird music and who she maybe (okay definitely, this is a romance novel) likes.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for discussion of an eating disorder (and possibly also a suicide attempt), an in-the-past and mostly offscreen sexual assault, and swearing (including one instance of The Cardinal Swearword).
4 stars.
Tags for this one: 4-star, a kissing book, DRAMA!, modern setting, rated T15+, romance, school drama, YA
It's another Nero Wolfe book. A novella, this time. I read this on a tablet in an airport, which is not my favorite way or place to read books, but it was good enough that I liked it regardless.
Basically, someone puts quinine in a can of liver paté (no idea what paté is but I assume it's some kind of meat paste thing) that Nero Wolfe subsequently eats. He Does Not Like This and begins a personal quest to find whoever did that and make them pay.
I don't have tons to say about this, but I do have some favorite lines to share.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: A stern T for violence (people getting shot at and stuff, plus it is a murder mystery).
4 stars.
Favorite lines:
"I am under no obligation to catch murderers indiscriminately."
Page, uh, I have no idea? This is an ebook and it doesn't like telling me the page numbers for whatever reason.
"Some news for you. [NAME REDACTED] is under arrest: they just took |her| away from here. Mr. Wolfe would like to have |her| prosecuted for feeding him quinine, but the cops prefer to try |her| for murder. [REDACTED]'s guilty of both."
Page nobodyknows. Page numbers are a mess in Ebooks, it's one of the reasons I don't like them as much as actual paper books.
Tags for this one: 4-star, mystery, rated T
Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel (illustrated by Christopher Steininger)
Content warning: This is a book about bats. If you don't like bats or are afraid of bats, don't read it.
Basically, a young bat's clan of bats is migrating south after the young bat (our main character) accidentally provoked some owls into burning down their home tree. Then he gets separated from the clan, goes on an a bunch of adventures, and meets the girl deuteragonist. She's not really a love interest, though that may change as the series goes on.
The book is actually pretty creepy. The art doesn't help, but the story features such delightful things as a rat civilization, a cult of bats who can sort of transform into humans, and these carnivorous jungle bats that try to eat whatever they can get their hands on (including some pigeons and the deuteragonist).
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for all that stuff I mentioned above.
3 stars. Could conceivably have been 4 if it hadn't kept talking about evolution.
Tags for this one: 3-star, adventure, modern setting, rated T, talking animals
(Endnote: And the boss man said, "Well bless my soul!")



I particularly liked the Sarah Dessen and Rex Stout books! As usual, a good job on these!!! Grammy
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete