Thursday, May 22, 2025

"The Silver Dream" by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves and Mallory Reaves

Most of the body of this post will be spoiler tagged, if only because pretty much everything related to Acacia "Don't ever call me Casey" Jones is a spoiler.

Speaking of whom. Acacia "Don't ever call me Casey" Jones is a member of |TimeWatch, which is basically InterWorld on time travel. It fights some ancient nigh-omnipotent beings called Techmaturges who are apparently able to just casually unexist entire universes. She also knows the original Joe Harker, somehow.|

She and Joseph "Joey" "Joe" Harker also sort of |start a bit of romance based on them annoying each other but getting stuck together in a variety of dangerous situations. As romance subplots go, it's pretty understated and not bad (in my admittedly limited experience with romance in YA books)|.
 
Oh, and we also learn (mostly) what FrostNight is? |It's some sort of magical-technological ritual that requires HEX and the Binary to collaborate using the distilled essences of a bunch of interdimensional walkers, and it's supposed to... uh, destroy the multiverse or something. I think it's the Techmaturges' fault.|

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for fantasy violence. It's remarkably clean.
 
4 stars.

Favorite lines:

    I hurled the thing [something he found in the trippiness dimension] à la Captain America, silently thanking my Alternative Phys Ed teacher for training us in the dubiously useful art of discus throwing.
    Pages 157-158.

    "The council decided."
    "Are you on the council?"
    "No."
    "Who is?"
    "Councilors."
    Page 187.
 
(Endnote: I think I've figured out a plot twist. |Our main character travels back in time and becomes the leader of InterWorld. I infer this from his newfound insistence on being called Joe, the existence of a picture of a younger InterWorld leader and an older Acacia together, and the fact that he sets out to gather up fellow interdimensional travelers at the end of this one|.)

No comments:

Post a Comment