Wednesday, May 28, 2025

"The Diamond Lens" by Fitz-James O'Brien

Protag's a madman? Let me count the ways.

He's clinically obsessed with microscopes

On getting better ones bend all his hopes

He spent all his money on the blasted things.

Believes assurances a medium says--

Believes contact with Leeuwenhoek, the dope.

Was tasked to make a diamond microscope.

(With electricity, the magic rays.)

Friend's stuff he needs for his goal to succeed in,

So with a knife he murderized the man.

With microscope he found a micro-Eden

And got a crush on microscopic Eve

She dies, and he despairs, his will is beaten;

The story ends, a weird one, I believe.


Were this a game, I'd rate it E ten plus,

For seances, occult, and all that fuss.

Three stars shall I hand out, no more, no less,

In all, the story's somewhat of a mess.


(Endnote: Yes, I did just rewrite Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "How Do I Love Thee?" about a science fiction short story from 1858 by someone no-one's ever heard of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment