Book 2 of Skulduggery Pleasant. (Book 1 is here.) In this one, some new (or possibly not so new?) bad guys show up and try to resurrect an evil giant monster thing. |They succeed, and the heroes have to fight it.|
It's been like a year since I read the last one, so I don't remember how many of the villains in this were mentioned in the first one.
Oh, and the Spring-Heeled Jack shows up, which was interesting.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for violence and giant spiders.
4 stars. However, as previously mentioned, there are giant spiders; I can read past them, but if you hate giant spiders, you probably shouldn't read this.
Tags for this one: 4-star, cool magic, modern setting, rated T, urban fantasy
This is about a twelve-ish-year-old girl, Violet Barnaby, whose mom is dead and whose dad has recently remarried. She spends most of the book grieving for her mom and railing against the injustice of change.
She also spends most of the book repressing the urge to just snap and start shouting at everything. I, too, have repressed that urge, as probably have we all.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E.
4 stars.
Tags for this one: 4-star, DRAMA!, modern setting, rated E
This book has a very twisty plot, and one that holds together in light of the new plot twists (I'm looking at you, Maximum Ride). Plus they're actually well-executed enough that I don't see them coming, which... either I've been reading books with untwisty plots or I've just gotten really good at spotting the plot twist.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for "deal-with-the-devil"-style magic (though not with the actual devil).
3 stars.
Tags for this one: 3-star, magical realism, modern setting, rated E10+
(Endnote: HALT IN THE NAME OF THE FRIDAY KNIGHT! Man, I really need to review Dragons at Crumbling Castle...)



No comments:
Post a Comment