Thursday, October 17, 2024

"Making Money" by Terry Pratchett

In which Moist von Lipwig (remember him?) is put in charge of the Mint. And also a bank. Lord Vetinari doesn't even have to threaten him, because Moist is bored out of his skull. However, there's this family of jerkfaces who want to run the place, and one of them is obsessed with being the next Lord Vetinari. And if that wasn't enough plot for you, while all this is going on, Moist's girlfriend is off unearthing four golden golems because she's got this thing for golem rights.

Moist is, in fact, so bored that he's even started taking up Extreme Sneezing. I have no idea what "Extreme Sneezing" even is, but it sounds like a good time. Apparently its practitioners are generally somewhat insane, though.

Speaking of somewhat insane people, the jerkface who wants to be the next Lord Vetinari will also settle for being the current Lord Vetinari. Or at least a stalker of his. Turns out |Ankh-Morpork's psychiatric hospital has an entire ward for people who think they're Lord Vetinari. There are surprisingly many of them.|

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for crude humor and swearing.


Favorite lines:

    You could trust numbers, except perhaps for pi.
    Page 202.

    "Just as I thought," he [Moist] said, pocketing the tube. "You forgot to take the cap off. It's the kind of mistake amateurs always make!"
    Owlswick hesitated, and then said: "You mean there's people who commit suicide professionally?"
    Page 223.

    "May I remind you of the famous dictum of General Tacticus: 'Those who desire war, prepare for war'?"
    Page 379.

    ...Moist wiped pineapple custard from his eyes just in time.
    "Look out! He's got a daisy!" he shouted, and then thought: I just shouted "Look out! He's got a daisy," and I think I'm going to remember forever just how embarrasing that was.
    Page 428. It's during the |clown attack|.

Appearances of Death count: 11.

(Endnote: You know those four golden golems? The word translated as "golden" |doesn't actually mean that. In context, it means "thousand"|.)

No comments:

Post a Comment