Saturday, October 26, 2024

"Eric" by Terry Pratchett

Plot summary: Imagine Faust, if Faust was 13 and named Eric, and instead of a demon he summoned Rincewind instead by accident. And then we mix in three cups of the Iliad and serve warm.

Unlike with Maskerade, I've never read the book this was based on. I do, however, know the basic plot (guy summons a demon and sells his soul to it for... idk what Faust wanted, actually) and this sort of conforms to that. Except as mentioned above.

The Discworld Trojan Horse did not, in fact, work like the Iliad Trojan Horse. Discworld Troy was like "we're not stupid, this is obviously full of soldiers trying to sneak into the city" so they put it under guard and set fire to it. Meanwhile, the Discworld Greek army snuck in through the back door.
 
This is a short review of a short book; I think it's the shortest Discworld book so far.

I deduced that it was a Faust retelling though many contextual clues, such as the old man ("old man") summoning a demon, and the fact that the title at the top of every page is "Faust ERIC".
 
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for crude humor and swearing. 

 
Favorite lines:

    "What're quantum mechanics?"
    "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."
    Page 110.
 
Appearances of Death count: 13.

(Endnote: Discworld Ponce de Leon did in fact find the Discworld Fountain of Youth. Unfortunately,  nobody gave him the all-important warning to boil the water before drinking it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment