Friday, April 19, 2024

"City Spies: Mission Manhattan" by James Ponti

This one is both good and lame at the same time. On the one hand, it involves climate change activism, which... c'mon. Nobody you're complaining at is actually causing the problem anymore. On the other hand, the team does get a chance to shine on their own for once, as their handlers are all unable to do any handling. 

And they do acquit themselves well. There's a fairly significant time gap between when I read this and when I'm reviewing it, so I don't remember what all they did, but most of it was cool. (The rest was mostly dogfish-jumping, which is like shark-jumping but less egregious; it's the only slightly unbelievable things.)
 
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+, probably, just because that's what I gave all the other ones.

3 stars. we did not need the climate change complaining.

Favorite lines:

    "Okay, I'm at a computer," he relayed to Brooklyn. "What do you want me to do? Hack the motherboard? Override the password?"
    "Those aren't even things," Brooklyn replied.
    Page 54.

    "You cracked the eggs." Rio turned to the others. "I think he did a good job, don't you?"
    "Oh yes. The eggs taste particularly well cracked," Kat said dryly.
    Page 68. An example of why Kat is my favorite character.

(Endnote: This is Book 5, not Book 0, so I can no longer say I've read the entire series in reverse order.)

No comments:

Post a Comment