This book was really good... for the first three quarters or so, after which it rapidly devolved into crappiness. What follows is my thoughts from the first three quarters, followed by the modified versions from after it all went to pieces.
I liked how the protagonist and deuteragonist had a completely platonic friendship, despite being a boy and a girl of about the same age.
This one was true through the whole book, actually.
I liked how there was an older teenager in a middle-grade fiction book who was actually nice and helpful, rather than being aloof or a jerkface.
Make that "reformed jerkface." Turns out backstory!Jonathon was... not great.
I liked how there wasn't really any objectionable content, just some offscreen violence.
nope.
I'm pretty sure the moral of the story is going to be something about nothing being terrible enough to quit existing over.
But insteeeaaad... badly-thought-out "as long as you forgive yourself it's fine" nonsense!
I'm excited to see what cunning plan the characters use to escape the mysterious extradimensional orphanage.
But insteeeaaad... badly-thought-out "as long as you forgive yourself it's fine" nonsense!
Relatedly, 1 star. The In-Between was much better.
(Endnote: I probably wouldn't have reviewed this at all, except that I was looking forward to doing it back during the 3/4 that were good. So, here we are.)

So, Sam, have you ever read an entire book and wished that you hadn't chosen it? It sounds like this book is one of those...'
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you read the whole thing because it shows that you have the gumption to see it to the end. However, of course, you have the right to "just say no" to books that do not live up to your fine sensibilities - and stop reading them rather than to waste your time and ingest a lot of junk.
I do sometimes DNF books if they seem like they're shaping up to be like an entire book made of the ending of this one, or if they just... don't catch my attention.
DeleteAnd, yes, I have read things then wished I hadn't. I just don't usually review them.
Since there are only so many books one has time to read, I agree that one has to choose wisely which books are worth reading.
DeleteKeep up the good work Sam!
Grandpa O