That was itself.
Ayep, tautology. It's kind of hard to describe; however, one character summed most of it up in one sentence (see the "favorite lines" below). Parts of it were... well, not scary exactly, but unsettling in a sort of "what-the-heck-is-going-on-here" way. If an author can do that to me, more power to them.
Basically, a silent, kind of creepy girl moves in next door and watches the main character's house. (Note: The main character is a perpetually angry 13-year-old. His name is Cooper. I told you that so I didn't have to refer to him as "the main character" forever). Cooper's sister Jess discovers an unsolved mystery about a kid who died in a train crash (in fact, this train crash). The kid had the top half of an unidentified crest thing on his jacket; the lower half was destroyed.
Why is this important? Well, because that same crest is on someone else's jacket. Someone else, in this case, being the silent girl who moved in next door.
|The main characters discover, digging through endless disaster articles, that the unidentified crest thing has showed up at two more disasters, one of which is...| this one. And as it turns out, |only three people can see the mysterious girl across the street: Cooper, Jess, and a kid named Gus who Cooper met at school. I'm not spoiling the rest of the book, as I believe the various plot twists are best discovered yourself.|
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: Hard E10+, relatively soft T, for the aforementioned unsettling-ness and also some other stuff.
4 stars. I rate a lot of things 4 stars, yeah, but that's because a lot of things are in that enjoyment range.
Favorite lines:
"So... you're telling me there's an invisible dead girl who lives in a shape-shifting house across your alley, and you think she's connected to three deadly accidents that happened decades ago, all over the world?"
Page 170.
(Endnote: |Not just three|.)

I think this one is too spooky for me! Too much invisible dead people and shape-shifting for my liking. Good job on the review, though!!!
ReplyDeleteGrammy
You probably wouldn't like it. It definitely wasn't bad, but it's not exactly your cup of tea.
Delete