Well,
now I know where quite a few more quotes are from. "We're off to see
the wizard," "And your little dog, too," "We represent the lollipop
guild," "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain," "We're not in
Kansas anymore," and "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" (Probably
among others that I'm forgetting.)
They changed a bunch of things for this movie. The most egregious one was going the "it was all a dream" route, which I rather dislike,
but there were a couple of others, most notably: the Emerald City was
actually green instead of
white-but-looks-green-because-everyone-wears-green-glasses, and there
was a lot more stuff before the tornado happened. (I'm pretty sure it
was just like a page in the book, which somehow translated to about
fifteen minutes in the movie.)
They
removed and/or changed some more of the book's plot points as well,
although mostly unimportant ones (such as the shoes being silver in the
book). So, all in all, this isn't an amazingly faithful adaptation, but
it gets the basic story, and the various cut sidetracks along the way
(like the weird hill full of dudes who punch you in the face with their
heads, or the land where everything is porcelain) would have bogged down
the movie.
I don't have tons to say about the movie version, and I already said stuff about the book.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: the same thing as the movie is rated, as usual. So, E (the movie is G).

It's amazing how much liberty the moviemakers take with making a book into a movie. Some things are pretty obvious why they change it to make the movie, such as cutting the sidetracks that aren't necessary for the plots. I imagine the tornado itself taking up so much more time in the movie than in the book is because it's an exciting part of the story, and let's face it, excitement reigns in moview. RIght?
ReplyDelete- Grammy
The tornado only took like a minute, it was the part before the tornado that got extended.
DeleteI don't love either the movie or the book, but I like the movie better because its more streamlined :-) Also, the ruby slippers are way prettier than silver ones, imho.
ReplyDeleteI think I like the book a little better, but I will freely acknowledge that I just usually don't like movies in general.
DeleteAnd yes, the ruby slippers are prettier than just plain silver-colored ones would have been.