Monday, October 9, 2023

"Artemis Fowl" by Eoin Colfer

This book's authentication as not inappropriate came with a large side of warnings about "but it's about the bad guy!" and "he's so annoying!". However, I'm partial to a spot of villain protagonist once in a while, and Artemis didn't annoy me. I suspect he would be completely insufferable in real life, but he's quite fun to read about.

Yes, Artemis Fowl is an evil genius who hatches a plan to kidnap a fairy and hold them for ransom. However, only the broad strokes of his plan really work out. The book is mostly about him trying to hold on to the fairy for any appreciable time, trying to ransom the fairy, and trying to hold on to the ransom money for any appreciable time. Doesn't help him much that the entirety of the fairy police is trying to get their person back.
 
Basically, Artemis Fowl is Professor Moriarty if Professor Moriarty were twelve, didn't have his network of criminals, lived in the modern day, and didn't live in London.

As it turns out, I like books with smart protagonists. If the bad guys are lame enough that your protagonist has to also be lame in order to give you any tension (I'm looking at you, Dungeon Academy: No Humans Allowed), someone is doing something wrong.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for some swearing and crude humor, and also mild violence and fantasy violence. I feel like it could be a fun videogame in the right hands, something chapter-based but not a visual novel, like how (I think) Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has its different mission/quest/things.

We haven't had one of these since Five Worlds back in January. One of what? Books rated 5 stars.
 
(Endnote: Artemis' plans are like clockwork. They go off perfectly and on time, unless you have a bunch of people determinedly throwing monkey wrenches at them.)

2 comments:

  1. So this one gets 5 stars, eh? Must be pretty good to warrant that rating from YOU!!!!
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I don't usually rate things 5 stars, but when I do, it's because the book was good.

      Delete