After putting it off for so long, I've finally read Redwall. My putting it off was almost assuredly related to people having told me I'd love it; therefore (see my review of Shadow Magic) I was predisposed not to read it.
But I finally did! Aaaaaand... didn't love it. It was still a solid book, though! (Not like all those liquid and gaseous books I've been reading lately, or that one plasma book). I can see where The Mice of Camelot (which I haven't reviewed) got its inspiration: The Mice of Camelot is a book about talking mice and other talking small animals in medieval times, and Redwall is a book about talking mice and other talking small animals in medieval times.
Le badguy is an evil rat named Cluny (the Scourge!), who wants to destroy the Redwall mouse monastery for no discernable reason. He also goes through lieutenants like paper towels, and is surprisingly good at basic tactics for a children's book villain. However, he is defeated multiple times by people dropping stuff on his army.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E to a soft E10+ for scenes of peril and fantasy violence.
4 stars, like I rate everything. (Well, not everything. But almost everything.) I found it a tad bit too cheesy to give 5.
(Endnote: Yeah, short review. Claudia [another relative of mine; not the actual name] loves this. I didn't really.)

But of course the rats are the bad guys and the mice are the good guys! Well if you ask me, they're both vermin and vermin isn't very good atall!! -Grammy
ReplyDeleteI agree that having either one in your house is bad. However, in their natural state, mice are kind of cute. Rats aren't, and they're also a lot more belligerent than mice are. So if you're going to have a book about rodents, mice and rats are the natural choice because they're the most common, and mice are the natural option for good guys because they're nicer.
Delete