Sunday, March 15, 2026

"The Black Stallion" by Walter Farley

The Black Stallion goes very fast. 

"But Sam," you may ask, "do you mean the book or the horse?" And the answer to that question is "Yes." The Black Stallion is a very fast-paced book, and the Black Stallion is a very fast horse.

It starts with a young boy of unspecified age, Alec Ramsay, who's the only survivor of a shipwreck. Well, the only human survivor; there's also a giant black horse. Having nothing better to do, Alec and the horse become friends during the time they're both stuck on a deserted island, and they remain friends when they get rescued and go back to New York.

The horse himself is rather wild and untamed-horse-ish, but he's also really fast. As in, wins-horse-races fast. So I think you can see where this is going; obviously, the Black Stallion is going to win some horse races.

This is not a terribly complicated or intricate book. It is, however, a fun one. I don't think there's actually a main antagonist, but there doesn't really need to be.

This review is part of my first completed quest.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for mild violence and mild blood.

4 stars.

Favorite lines:

    "It's good to be home," answered Alec. His mother smiled. 
    The Black moved restlessly beside him. Alec looked at him, then at his parents. "He's mine," he said proudly.
    "I was afraid of that," said his father.
    Page 85.

2 comments: