Monday, March 30, 2026

"Stuart Little" by E. B. White

Stuart Little is the second son of a perfectly normal American family. He is inexplicably also a mouse.

This book is an odd one. I should probably have put off reading the first few chapters until such time as I wasn't extremely tired, because it didn't make much sense to me. And it meant I couldn't tell whether later chapters were also not making much sense to me because they just didn't, or because my experience with the book had been colored by first reading it when I was extremely tired.

That said, I shall now attempt to provide a summary of the plot.

Stuart Little is, for no discernable reason, a mouse. He lives with his otherwise normal human family, who are oddly fine with the fact that he's randomly a mouse. He wins a model sailboat race for a guy by making his model sailboat actually have someone sailing it. He also meets a bird named Margalo, who then flees when the family cat (who has somehow never eaten Stuart) plots to murder her. Stuart likes Margalo, so he goes on an Epic Quest in a tiny car to find her.

Stuart |does not manage to find Margalo| by the end of the book. Slightly |anticlimactic|, that, but I'm honestly fine with it, because if |we had gone until he found her|, the book would have to have been several times as long.

I hadn't read this before, and thus was not expecting Stuart to act so much like a grown-up. Or to be a supposed-to-have-been-a-human-but-is-actually-a-mouse-for-some-reason; I thought he was just a normal mouse. Really, I was expecting this to be more like The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

[EDIT: This review is part of my first completed quest.]

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E, probably.

3 stars.

(Endnote: Oddly enough, hardly anybody is like "What the heck, is that a talking mouse???" when Stuart shows up. I guess this is just a Thing That Happens in this universe?)

No comments:

Post a Comment