To anyone who thinks the movies made this book weird (I don't actually know if anyone holds that opinion but it sounds like the sort of opinion people would hold): that's entirely possible, but please keep in mind that the book was already weird.
Speaking of adaptations and retellings and things, could the people writing the retellings stop making Captain Hook cool? He's really not. He's evil, and not even the cool kind.
One thing which I rather liked about the book (and which none of the adaptations I've seen do) is that Neverland is a sort of imaginary-but-also-not place built out of the children's mental worlds. That would be a really interesting thing to explore in an adaptation or a retelling. (Though, personally, I suspect that any Neverland containing my mental world would either be rather boring or utterly terrifying.)
The beginning takes great pains to assure you that no, this was not all a dream. I appreciate that.
Neverland itself reminds me of the island-where-dreams-come-true from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
This review is part of my first completed quest.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for scary scenes and fantasy violence. And Captain Jas. Hook being an awful person.
3 stars.
(Endnote: Did you know there's actually a sequel? It's about Peter's younger brother, Frying.)

No comments:
Post a Comment