I did not expect to like this book. However, unlike Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, I actually did end up liking Charlotte's Web.
Before we go any further, I must provide a content warning for spiders. This is a book that heavily involves spiders (one spider in particular). If you have arachnophobia, maybe don't read it.
That said. Charlotte, the spider in question, is one of the most charactery characters I've seen in quite a while. She has a specific personality, and one that's evident pretty much as soon as you meet her. I'm not quite sure how the author managed to characterize Charlotte so well in only a few pages, but there you have it.
Actually, E. B. White displays an amazing ability with dialogue here. You can practically hear the tone of voice.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+, probably, for spiders and for the plot hinging on trying to avert the main character's impending death.
4 stars.
Favorite lines:
"Can I have a pig, too, Pop?" asked Avery.
"No, I only distribute pigs to early risers," said Mr. Arable. "Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice. As a result, she now has a pig. A small one, to be sure, but nevertheless a pig. It just shows what can happen if a person gets out of bed promptly."
Page 5, showcasing again the author's ability with dialogue.
Mothers for miles around worried about Zuckerman's swing. They feared some child would fall off. But no child ever did. Children almost always hang onto things tighter than their parents think they will.
Page 69.
(Endnote: This book has nothing to do with Charlotte, North Carolina.)

"No, I only distribute pigs to early risers” is such a great line. XD
ReplyDeleteI’ve tagged you with the Oddly Specific Things I Love in Books Tag, so play if you want to!: https://moviesmeetmatch.blogspot.com/2026/03/the-oddly-specific-things-i-love-in.html