Friday, January 24, 2025

"Carpe Jugulum" by Terry Pratchett

Plot summary: King Verence II of Lancre invites some vampires for the christening of his baby daughter, Princess Esmerelda Margaret Note Spelling of Lancre. The vampires refuse to leave, so the witches have to make them.

Despite my original beliefs, the Nac Mac Feegle actually debut in this one. They're quite incomprehensible.
 
Instead of a goth subculture, the Discworld has vampires who change their names to things like Henry and pretend to be accountants.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T15+ for crude humor and swearing.


Favorite lines:

    When people were in serious trouble they went to a witch.*
    *Sometimes, of course, to say, "please stop doing it."
    Page 11.

    "I'm going to have a word with young Verence," said Nanny.
    "He is the king, Nanny," said Agnes.
    "That's no reason for him to go around acting like he was royalty."
    "I think it is, actually."
    Page 32.
 
    "You come near me and I'll stab you with this!" she shouted.
    "It's a teddy bear," said the Count. "I'm afraid it wouldn't work, even if you sharpened it."
    Page 374.

    "I ain't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed."
    Page 383 (the scene also known as, "Granny Weatherwax pulls out her Uno reverse card.")

(Endnote: This is another review that would have been a mini-review but for the grace of the favorite lines section.)

No comments:

Post a Comment