I liked this one altogether better than the last one. Less of Opal Koboi, maybe? Fewer |major characters dying|? Actually, Holly does |die in this one|. She gets better, though, due to some |time travel shenanigans by Artemis.| Time travel kind of always leads to shenanigans.
The plot of this is basically: the lost eighth type of fairies yeeted their island into a temporal rift because they got annoyed. The spell they used to do that is starting to fall apart. So now they start randomly appearing, and everyone's trying to stop it.
Due to plot stuff with other humans figuring out about the time spell, Artemis, Holly, and two of those new fairies |go back to the island and hatch a plan to convert a bomb explosion to magic and put the island back where it's supposed to be. (I KNOW THIS IS SPOILER TAGGED BUT THIS IS LITERALLY THE ENDING I'M SPOILING HERE) Well, almost. It comes back twenty miles off target and three years after they left.|
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T for fantasy violence, some crude humor, and some bad language.
I'm giving this one... well guess. If you guessed 4 stars, congratulations, you win an imaginary cookie and some fake internet points.
Favorite lines:
"Talk straight or die!" shrieked the human into his face.
N⁰1 shrieked right back at him. "How can I talk straight, you son of a three-legged dog? I don't speak Taiwanese!"
All of this was said in perfect Taiwanese.
Page 168.
It was like a scene from a scary movie, complete with its own sound track.
Minerva frowned. Real life did not have a sound track. There was music coming from somewhere.
Page 233.
"I know magic can be stolen," said Artemis. "Because I stole some myself."
Page 313. (He's calling out the bad guy for magically hypnotizing his superiors, even though the bad guy shouldn't be able to have magic.)
(Endnote: I've taken to calling Artemis "dear Arty" in my head.)

No comments:
Post a Comment