Wednesday, May 10, 2023

"To the Far Blue Mountains" by Louis L'Amour

After the first book chronicled some of the life of Barnabas Sackett, this one does the rest of it. It intersperses action scenes (98% of the book, 2% of the time elapsed) with time skips (2% of the book, 98% of the time elapsed).

In this one, Barnabas falls afoul of Robert Malmayne (possibly an actual historical person, but I don't really know anything about him) who's apparently after getting the crown jewels which he thinks Barnabas has found. Barnabas hasn't found them. Robert Malmayne doesn't believe this.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that Barnabas ends up in America again. And runs into Native Americans again. And has thrilling adventures again. 

(Side note: I suspect my reviews of Louis L'Amour books are all going to be quite short. Y'all've been warned. Woot, two whole apostrophes in a single word!)
 
Barnabas has an interesting habit of walking into dangerous situations and declaring himself in charge. With anyone else, this would be suicidal, but Barnabas Sackett manages to be so dang good at it that he pulls it off. Repeatedly.
 
Anyway, unlike its companion, I'm only going to rate this one three stars. This is mostly due to all the time skips and |the main character dying in the end|.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T again, mostly for violence.

Favorite lines:

    "Come in, gentlemen!" I said. "But please, no quick movements as I've no wish to be cleaning scattered brains from the wall."
    Page 43. Once again, L'Amour's characters (another two-apostrophe word for ya) deliver threats in the most hilariously casual manner.

    "...I took [the child] carefully, for I'd no knowledge of babies."
    Page 212. "I'd no knowledge of babies" struck me as absolutely hilarious when I read the line. It still amuses me while I'm writing this blurb thing.

(Endnote: Barnabas has a great moustache, doesn't he? Also, my mom reviewed this one too.)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, this one definitely had a bit of a "we are trying to tie up loose ends" feel to it in spots. But still lots of fun to hang out with take-charge Barnabas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having never read a Louis L'Amour book myself, I'm really glad you read them and are reviewing them in this blog!!
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete