Behold, a book different from pretty much everything I've previously reviewed here.
The book is about one Barnabas Sackett, who tries to go on a trading venture to the New World. Then |he gets shanghaied| (to America, so that worked out) and has all sorts of adventures. Rollicking good fun, to quote... my mom, probably.
Also, unlike most other adventure story I've read, Barnabas does not really have an "incompetent-to-good-at-things" character arc. About which I am very happy, because said character arc is not my favorite of these. From descriptions I've read of Louis L'Amour books, they seem to mostly be about competent characters, so, woot!
I'll give this thing four stars.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: T, probably. Unlike most of the books I've reviewed here so far, Sackett's Land would probably be quite a fun videogame in the vein of something like Tomb Raider or Metal Gear.
Favorite lines:
I parried a blade, thrust, stepped back and with a toe kicked a block in the way of my opponent who spilled over it to hands and knees. If he came up from that--I flicked my blade sideways and down in a quick gesture--up from that he'd have to fasten his head on again.
Page 141.
(That is the absolute funniest way I've ever read of saying "yeah, I cut that guy's head off.)
EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but my mom read and reviewed this too.

So glad you're enjoying these too! I'd better read faster...
ReplyDeleteI can probably wait, haha.
Delete