Monday, December 12, 2022

Videogame ratings guide

Another non-review, this time explaining the ESRB videogame ratings (which I use in my reviews). Should be pretty short.

EC: Early Childhood. This one's been retired due to infrequency of use, but it was videogames for little kids. I don't read many books that would have been rated it.

E: Everyone. Similar to the G rating for movies; nothing objectionable here.

E10+: Everyone 10 or older. Contains "more cartoon, fantasy, or mild violence [than E]; mild language".

T: Teen. It's like PG-13 for movies. May contain "violence, crude humor, minimal blood, and the infrequent use of strong language" (their words, not mine).

T15+: Teens 15 or older. It's in between T and M becuase I realized the scale needed another shade of grey between those two. This is usually the upper limit of what I read.

M: Mature 17+. Basically R, except for videogames instead. I read almost no books that would get rated M, and for good reason.

AO: Adults Only (18+). There have only ever been 27, and it's for games that shouldn't exist but do for some reason (or involve gambling with real money, I think). I read exactly no books that would get rated AO, and for better reason. Probably the equivalent of an NC-17 rating for movies.

There you have it. I will probably never link to this page; linking to Rating System with all the star ratings is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment