Saturday, December 10, 2022

"Armstrong: The Adventurous Journey of a Mouse to the Moon" by Torben Kuhlmann

This is an extremely adorable book. I picked it up off the library shelves because it caught my eye and was about mice. In space. Mice in space. Pretty sure you can see why I like it. (I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags for the plot because you can read the whole thing in like 5 minutes; thou hast been warned.)

It's basically a retelling of the moon landings, but with a mouse instead. The titular mouse discovers, via telescope, that the moon is a giant ball of... stone. Nobody believes him, because obviously cheese is round and has holes, and obviously the moon is round and has holes, ergo the moon is made of cheese. 

But then, one mouse (who lives in the Smithsonian) believes him, and that sets our mouse hero on the path of FLYING TO THE MOON IN A TINY SPACESHIP!!! But first, he tries to fly to the moon in a converted alarm clock launched from a catapult... which, obviously, doesn't work. 

...aaand then he actually lands on the moon, and here I pull a bait-and-switch and talk about physics within a spoiler tag. 
|Obviously, a mouse going to the moon in a rocket made of tin cans isn't going to work. But you have to suspend disbelief, because come on, cute mouse. It's a picture book. Enough physics.|

And now, a public service announcement, from my country cousin. THIS BOOK IS EXTREMELY CUTE!! I could say this at least eight more times and not get tired of it, so without further ado, THIS BOOK IS EXTREMELY CUTE!!! THIS BOOK IS EXTREMELY CUTE! [remainder truncated for brevity]

This book will join my other two recent reviews, Howl's Moving Castle and Fahrenheit 451, in getting four stars

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E. (It would be rated EC, for Early Childhood, but I looked up the ratings and apparently EC has been retired due to infrequency of use.) I found it in the picture books section, y'all.

Favorite lines:

   "Next stop, the moon!" he announced in a loud and cheerful voice, although there was no one to hear him.
   (The book doesn't have any page numbers, which is my main quibble with it.)

Also, the extremely cute artwork, because as previously stated, THIS BOOK IS EXTREMELY CUTE!!!!!! [remainder truncated for brevity again]

4 comments:

  1. I should sit down for five minutes and read it for myself. Because who doesn't love extremely cute books about mice? AND I love space flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you're where I got my love of space things from, then.

      Delete
    2. Curses! I have no answer for this!
      This comment is only here because otherwise I'll be like "oh, I have a new comment" and keep checking the post.

      Delete