Thursday, June 18, 2026

"Masterminds: Payback" by Gordon Korman

I was wrong. None of these people have superpowers.

I do, however, continue in my opinion that I'd be fine with it if the series were just about Eli and Tori, to the exclusion of the other four |(or five)| protagonists. They're the Jessicae (see my previous Masterminds post), and I'd happily read a series just about them.

For people who have been taught morality all their lives, these kids' moral compasses are remarkably shot. They take to lying and stealing and skulduggery really quickly. Original sin showing through, I suppose. For all that, they |don't stay in their life of crime at the end, so that's a point in their favor, I guess|.

Probably the single most charismatic character in this book is |Bartholomew Glen, the notorious (and fictional) serial killer. He's thoroughly evil, and he's in the book for like six pages, but one can hardly take one's metaphorical eyes off him during those six pages|.

|"Crushed to death by a manta ray"| is not a |villain death| I've ever seen before. Are |manta rays| even |heavy enough| to |crush someone|? I don't know. |Here, I'll go three for three on the| potato soup |jokes in my reviews of this series|.

As this is the final book in the series, I shall now talk about the series as a whole. It's, well... it's not the worst series I've ever read, though some of the plot points (coughBookTwoEndingcough) are frankly implausible. As I've been saying, the protagonists take to immorality a tad quickly for my liking, and their competence at stealing and hacking and breaking-into-places is somewhat baffling. But there's basically nothing inappropriate in the entire series, so it's got that going for it. The worst is a rather tense woodchipper incident, in which absolutely nobody is harmed.

Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for some violence.

3 stars.

(Endnote: Who's "Back", and why do we have to pay him?)

No comments:

Post a Comment