I have read this book so often I could probably review it from memory.
The first completed quest (of which this review is a part) was a nice excuse to reread it, though. I've read this book so often I feel like I know all the characters, so rereading it feels like hanging out with friends. And I don't even have to |ENDING SPOILERS not get attached to one of these people|, because |none of them is the murderer|.
The Westing Game is described as a "puzzle mystery," meaning that there's a puzzle to figure out. I did not figure it out when I first read the book, and neither did I do so on subsequent read-throughs, because then I already knew the answer. If you did what I didn't (i.e. |put all the clues together in one place and tried to solve them like that|), it does seem to be possible to solve it yourself.
My mom has reviewed this, twice. She likes it as much as I do.
Let the reader beware that exposure to this book may cause one to go around shouting "Boom!" at people for some time afterward.
Were this a videogame, I'd rate it: E10+ for being a murder mystery. Other than that there's basically nothing untoward in the entire book; no swearing, no graphic violence, no (even mildly) suggestive themes...
5 stars.
Today I have gathered together my nearest and dearest, my sixteen nieces and nephews
"What!"
(Sit down, Grace Windsor Wexler!)
The lawyer stammered an apology to the still-standing woman. "I was only reading; I mean, those are Mr. Westing's words."
Pages 28-29. It's from the reading of Sam Westing's very strange will, which kicks off the titular Westing Game.
First murder, now a swear word.
Page 30. The swear word in question actually isn't one; it's "dastardly". When I first read this I didn't know the swear word that "dastardly" sounds like, so I didn't really get this joke until I was older.
(Endnote: Buy Westing Paper Products!)

Sam, I too loved The Westing Game! And like you, I didn't figure out who did it the first time I read it.. But that didn't stop me from liking it. Nice review! -Grammy
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteBOOM!
ReplyDelete